Thursday, April 12, 2012

Where's The Lamb?

Happy belated Passover and Easter. I hope yours was a good as mine. After a week of working with the WDC and getting the community going again on the school, it was nice to have a day of rest and rat...???

Sunday I preached at the small church I am attending in Wadupe. After the service the men sat around and talked as the women bustled around getting lunch prepared. First, hot tea...so good. Then came the big plate. As the lady ducked under the grass roof and through the small door into the mud hut I prayed, "Lord, thank you for dying and coming back to life. You are all powerfull and full of love. Please don't let that plate have dried fish in it." And don't you know He is so great. That plate indeed had no dried fish(dried fish is the one thing I absolutely hate about Sudan. It's fish that has sat out in the sun to dry. It's rotten and horrible and you have to eat all the little bones. Mothers should make their kids eat it when they say bad things). I looked at the mangled hunk of brown meat in front of me and thought, "maybe it's passover lamb."

"It's bush rat" said Rufus.

Ohhh...good, 'cause I...love me some bush rat.

I had just about stomached it down. My hands were shaking. I wondered if this is what Paul meant by suffering for Christ. But I could see the light. A few more bites and the deed was done. Plop. Plop. Two dried, stinky, rotten fish dropped right on top of my last bite of rat...sigh...(quietly mixing food around so it looks like I ate it)...deep breath..no way around it. Bones and all. I imagined Allie sitting on the dirt floor with a big plate of rat and rotten fish in front of her."I should probably start on a plan 'B'", I thought...(for the food, not the girl).

All joking aside, I love Wadupe; I love the sweet people who give me extra helpings of rotten fish because they love me; I love the children who stand around my windows and whisper like they are at the "white man" exhibit at the zoo; I love the relaxed way of fellowhip they are teaching me; and most of all I love the smiles on the faces when they see a little clearer that a better Wadupe is possible.

Bush rat and fish are a small price to pay to be here letting people know there is hope. Much Love

billy

(mom: sweet tea, fried chicken, apple pie etc...june 7th, you know the drill)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. my. word... God bless you, and guard your stomach for eating everything, lol. Yikes!

Tracey said...

Praying for you and the sweet people of Wadupe. Hope things are going well with the school building construction. Can't wait to see photos of what God is doing in Sudan!