Tuesday, October 23, 2007

notitleworthy

often i sit down to write about my day and leave with nothing on the paper. not because i have nothing to say, but simply because words are not powerful enough to relive moments that forever change eternity. how can i fully explain what a hug from pastor rufus means to me? how can i use the english language, words invented by men, to explain a friendship with the people of wadupe, given by God, that will last forever? i can only tell you what i saw and describe what i felt, but not until we see the face of Christ will we know what it all meant. we embraced on the steps of the new church, pastor rufus and i. then i was greeted by the congregation, first with looks of surprise which then turned into a rejoicing sort of "he really does love us" kind of look. many people come to sudan and other foreign lands and promise big things because they like to make the people happy, but few follow through with their plans. the sudanese know this, and to see that i actually came back to them triggered a time of praise and celebration. before the service pastor rufus and i were able to sit and discuss my vision for wadupe and whythewoods. his responses and the look on his face said, "finally someone really hears us." i explained to him the notion of "teaching a man to fish." he said, "that is what we have been crying. for so long we have been chained by war, and we have fallen way behind. we just need to know how to catch up." after our talk i spoke to the congregation. i shared with them matthew 9:37-38. i pointed out that Jesus tells us the harvest is there but no one to do the work, so the first thing he tells us to do is to pray (vs38), and this is the first step to changing sudan. i told them that many people at home are praying for me and the people of sudan; the men started clapping and the women started cheering for all of you who are remembering us in prayer. one day you will meet them in eternity and they will thank you personally. i then shared acts 1:8, and told them that this is a big leap of faith for me, but the Holy Spirit will give me power. and finally i shared colosians 2:6, and said that we must train our children in the ways of our Lord so they will be founded on the gospel and so they can pull sudan out of the trouble it is in. i spoke in both churches, explaining to them what i feel God is calling me to do. pastor rufus told me the community will give me a plot of land to live on and help me build a tukul. this, as you may remember, was one of my prayer requests before i left; that God would supply for me land to live on, and on which to set up a base of operations. and here is my answer, free land in wadupe. praise God for His many blessings.

pray for me next sunday as i meet with the chief of the area and the entire community to discuss the issue of the school size and building design, and to officially denote my plot of land. i have already talked with an engineer from samaritan's purse who has agreed to help me draw up the design and find the right people to help build it. like i said, how can mere words describe all of this. i thank you for praying on my behalf. God's hand of blessing is truly on this ministry.

4 comments:

Jen T. said...

And again I will say, " And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those that love God and are called according to His purpose for them."
Praying for you !!!

LYNN said...

You are so right billy. Words cannot express sometimes what is in the heart. Love cannot be held in the hands but can be seen and felt. Is God AWESOME or what!!!!

Dexter Kirby said...

Billy You are an encouragement and a blessing. Brother, keep shining the light of Jesus Christ in dark places. I'm definitely praying for you. I'm excited to see the end results of what God is going to do. As Moody said, "the world is yet to see what one man sold out for God can do." Keep living for Him.

Elizabeth P said...

I can only thank God that He placed men like you in places to do real good. For those of us who lack the courage and calling to go out I pray for your guidance and strength. HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD!!!